Moving Electrical Outlet
For over seventeen years, B&K Electric has been serving the residents of Cranston, Warwick, and all of Rhode Island. Our team of expert electricians specializes in electrical repair, panel maintenance, and installation. With our extensive knowledge and experience, we have become the go-to electrician for homes and businesses in the Warwick area and the greater Providence area. And today, we’re here to guide you through the process of moving an electrical outlet.
Why Would You Want to Move an Electrical Outlet?
As a homeowner, there may be times when you want to rearrange your furniture or remodel your home. During these times, you may find yourself in a situation where an electrical outlet is not in the most convenient location. This is where the need to move the outlet arises. Moving an electrical outlet can also be necessary if the existing outlet is damaged or not functioning properly. In any case, it is important to seek the help of a licensed electrician to ensure the safety and efficiency of the electrical work.
The Process of Moving an Electrical Outlet
Moving an electrical outlet may seem like a simple task, but it requires careful planning and execution. It is always best to consult a licensed electrician before attempting to move an outlet. At B&K Electric, we follow a step-by-step process to safely move an electrical outlet.
1. Assess the Circuit Load: The first step in moving an electrical outlet is to determine the circuit load, which refers to the amount of electricity being drawn from the circuit. It is important to ensure that the new location for the outlet can handle the same amount of load as the previous location. If not, it may cause an overload and lead to electrical hazards.
2. Turn Off the Power: Before starting any work, we ensure that the power to the outlet is turned off. This can be done by flipping the circuit breaker that controls the outlet or by using a voltage tester to check for any electricity flowing through the outlet.
3. Remove the Outlet Cover: Using a screwdriver, the outlet cover is removed to expose the outlet and the wiring behind it.
4. Disconnect the Wiring: The wiring behind the outlet is carefully disconnected. It is important to take note of the wiring colors and their placement before the disconnection, to ensure correct reconnection later.
5. Install a New Electrical Box: In some cases, the new location for the outlet may not have an existing electrical box. In such cases, an electrician will have to install a new box.
6. Connect the Wiring to the New Location: The wiring is then connected to the new location using wire nuts. The black wires are connected together, the white wires are connected together, and the bare copper wires are connected to the grounding screw.
7. Secure the Outlet: The outlet is secured in the new location using screws. The red wire, which is responsible for controlling the outlet, is then connected to the appropriate screw.
8. Test the Outlet: Before replacing the outlet cover and turning the power back on, we make sure to test the outlet to ensure that it is functioning properly.
9. Replace the Outlet Cover: Once the outlet is working correctly, we replace the cover using the appropriate screw.
Reasons to Hire a Licensed Electrician for Moving an Electrical Outlet
1. Safety: Moving an electrical outlet involves working with live wires and ensuring the correct wiring connections. It can be extremely dangerous and should only be done by a licensed electrician to avoid any electrical hazards.
2. Knowledge and Experience: Licensed electricians have the knowledge and experience to properly assess the circuit load and handle any complexities that may arise during the process of moving an outlet. They are also equipped with the appropriate tools and techniques to ensure a safe and efficient job.
3. Code Compliance: Electrical work must be done in compliance with local building codes. Hiring a licensed electrician ensures that the work is done according to these codes, which is important for the safety and value of your home.
Choosing the Right Electrician for Your Electrical Needs
When it comes to electrical work, it is crucial that you choose a licensed electrician who has the knowledge and experience to handle the job properly. As a homeowner in Providence, Rhode Island, you want to ensure that the electrician you choose is reliable, trustworthy, and has a good track record. B&K Electric ticks all these boxes and more. Our team of expert electricians has been providing top-notch electrical services to the residents of Rhode Island for over seventeen years. We take pride in our excellent customer service and our commitment to safety and quality.
At B&K Electric, we understand the importance of building strong relationships with our clients, which is why we prioritize communication and transparency. Our licensed electricians will keep you informed throughout the entire process of moving an electrical outlet, ensuring that you are satisfied and at ease with the work being done.
Moving an electrical outlet may seem like a simple DIY project, but it is not worth the risks involved. It is always best to consult a licensed electrician for any electrical work, be it big or small. At B&K Electric, we are dedicated to providing reliable and efficient electrical services to the residents of Warwick and the greater Providence area. Trust us to get the job done right.